Google recently published “The Mobile Movement: Understanding Smartphone Customers,” a brief video based on the findings from an Ipsos OTX survey of 5,013 adult smartphone users in the U.S.
Objectives of the research project – “better understand how smartphones are used in consumers’ daily lives and how smartphones have influenced the ways consumers search, shop and respond to mobile advertising.”
- 79% of smartphone users use a smartphone to get help in shopping.
- In fact, 70% of smartphone users use a smartphone while in store.
- To find a retailer (54%)
- Compare prices (48%)
- Get promotions & coupons (48%)
- Read reviews & product info (44%)
- Search in-store inventory (34%)
- 74% of smartphone shoppers make a purchase as a result of using their smartphones to help with shopping.
- Finding local information is one of the most popular smartphone activities (95%)
- 71% of smartphone users search because of an ad they’ve seen either online or offline.
- 82% of smartphone users notice mobile ads.
- 79% of top advertisers still don’t have a mobile optimized website.
- 88% of those who look for local information on their smartphones take action within a day.
Key takeaway – It’s high time retailers and brands start leveraging this powerful & influential medium.