In an article by Les Luchter on Jan 14, 2009 had a mention of the concluding remarks by Michelle Tiletnick, research manager of the Direct Marketing Association. She said, “We are all direct marketers now, whether we know it or not,” & thus concluded the executive summary of the DMA’s new 78-page qualitative report, “Future of Direct Marketing.”
35 Direct Marketing leaders have contributed insights in this report. Here are some findings from DMA:
“Where will direct marketing will be in five and ten years?“
- Customers will be in control
- Measurable and accountable marketing will increase
- Traditional direct marketing (mail, catalogs) will decrease while digital marketing rises
- Marketers will increase the use of multiple channels–but with a single message
“How should direct marketers prepare for these changes?”
- Invest in the future (technology, staff, mindset)
- Ask customers for their media preferences
- Test everything
- Be open-minded
I don’t know if I should consider myself a Direct Marketer or not, but one thing I am very sure of is…. I spread great amount of Word Of Mouth about the product or services I experience or have deeper knowledge about! I enjoy doing that, yes I feel great because I have control over my content. So be it good or bad brand experience, I make sure people around me are aware of it.
I find this article very resourceful & hence recommend everyone to check out the full article. My only minor apprehension with this report is the time-frame. For time 5 years is too long, I see this happening in two -three year at max.